Cleveland Elderly and Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer
While everyone expects their elderly loved ones will be loved and respected, it is often not the case in America. Every year, millions of elderly Americans suffer from abuse and in these cases, it is a trusted individual who is accused, generally relatives, friends, caregivers, scam artists and even at times government officials.
At Youngstown Criminal Law Group, our Cleveland nursing home abuse lawyer is experienced with many such cases where the clients have got the most favorable outcome. So, if you or your loved ones have been a victim of elder abuse, don’t delay in reaching us.
Elderly abuse is the form of abuse that is done intentionally and by a trusted individual, often a relative or a caregiver, that puts the vulnerable elderly person in a seriously risky situation. When a family member is sending the elderly to a nursing home, assisted care of elderly care facility, these organizations are also trusted for the elderly people. And they can be abusers too.
The incidents of elderly neglect and abuse are too common and can have devastating effects on the mind of the elderly person.
The Signs One Should Look For
Often the elderly loved one cannot open their mouth about the abuse out of fear or out of many other emotional reasons. But the abuse can be evident from some predominant signs that friends, community members and other loved ones can find out. The followings are such signs:
- The caregiver is refusing to get any outside help for finance or services for the senior
- They change the health care or social care provider frequently
- The senior is getting isolated from the outside world and the community often by the caregiver
- Sudden changes in a will or other financial documents
- Unexplained pale complexion
- Not being fed properly. Not getting water, heat or ventilation
- Not getting dentures, hearing aids, eyeglasses, walkers or wheelchairs
- Bedsores, skin rashes or soiled bandages
- Bruises that can indicate that they were bound or restrained
- Lack of energy, mental confusion, depression, crying, any other kind of emotional distress
- Sudden unexplained weight loss
- Fearful of the caregiver
- Open wounds, bruises, cuts and welts
- Improper clothing as per weather
- Signs of mismanagement in medicines, empty bottles, expired medicines and outdated prescription
- Torn clothing and broken valuables
- Unusual activity in the bank account as well as property
Bringing Claim of Elderly Abuse or Nursing Home Abuse
A loved one, relative or guardian or family member can bring the claim of elderly abuse or nursing home abuse. The crucial thing is that they need to speak with an experienced Cleveland nursing home abuse lawyer immediately so that the case can be dealt with while helping the elderly get out of the misery. Also, it is important to ensure that the vulnerable elderly are protected. That is why a lawyer should be consulted who has prior experience in dealing with this type of case and will understand how sensitive the matter is.
Who Can Be Sued?
If the elderly person was at home under the supervision of a caregiver, then they can be sued. In case, the elderly person was in a nursing home or assisted living facility, then the owner of the business and the care provider along with the abuser will be sued for violating their duty of providing the elderly with a safe environment and adequate care.
If you are looking for an experienced Cleveland nursing home abuse lawyer, come to Youngstown Criminal Law Group. We have handled such cases in the past successfully and will assure you to get the best resolution of your claim.