DUI Prevention Guide in St. Clairsville, Ohio
At St. Clairsville Criminal Law Group, we are committed to upholding the civil rights of every individual. Through our dedicated work, we ensure that our clients have the opportunity to retain or fight for their rights. While we strongly condemn drunk driving, we recognize that not all charges are justified. If you or your loved one is facing a DUI charge, there may be potential avenues for having the charges dropped. At St. Clairsville Criminal Law Group, we are dedicated to securing the justice you deserve.
As part of our efforts to promote DUI prevention, our expert St. Clairsville Criminal Lawyer has compiled a comprehensive DUI prevention guide. We invite you to take a look at this valuable resource. If you find yourself charged with a DUI case, our St. Clairsville OVI Lawyer is available for consultation without delay.
About Drunk Driving
Drunk driving remains a significant cause of traffic accidents, with nearly one-third of all accidents attributed to this dangerous behavior. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, approximately 10,000 lives are lost each year due to drunk driving. In fact, every 53 minutes, a fatality occurs as a result of a drunk driving crash. The financial cost of DUI cases is staggering, amounting to $199 billion annually, all of which could be prevented.
Repeat offenders account for one-third of DUI-related fatalities, injuries, and property damage. Shockingly, 50% to 75% of these repeat offenders have had their licenses suspended.
While DUI incidents have decreased since 1980, there are still numerous cases reported each year. To ensure your safety and the safety of others, we strongly encourage you to review the following prevention guide.
Prevention Tips for Yourself
Driving under the influence not only endangers innocent pedestrians and motorists but also puts you at risk. Please consider the following tips to prevent such incidents:
- If you are attending a social gathering, designate a sober individual to drive you and your friends safely home.
- If you are planning to visit a party or bar alone, opt for a cab service. In case of multiple destinations, consider renting a car.
- If you have impulsively consumed alcohol, leave your car parked and take a cab, bus, or train to reach your home or hotel, where you can sleep it off.
We hope that by following these guidelines, we can collectively make a positive impact in preventing drunk driving incidents. Your safety and the safety of our community are of utmost importance to us.
How to Know That You are Too Drunk
Determining your level of drunkenness doesn’t always require calculating your Blood Alcohol Content (BAC). There are several apparent signs of intoxication to watch out for:
- Flushed skin
- Bloodshot, reddened eyes
- Blurred or double vision
- Slurred or loud speech
- Difficulty walking in a straight line
- Colliding with objects
- Inability to write your signature normally
If you are unable to assess your intoxication level, consider seeking the opinion of a trusted friend, bartender, or server. Remember, even if you don’t exhibit these signs, you may still exceed the legal alcohol limit. If you face charges of Driving Under the Influence (DUI), consult a reputable St. Clairsville OVI Lawyer promptly.
Utilize a BAC Calculator App
For a more accurate evaluation of your condition, utilize a BAC calculator application that factors in your height, weight, and age. These apps provide real-time estimates of your alcohol consumption.
For Your Companions
Remaining sober while driving is not only responsible for yourself but also for the well-being of your family, friends, and companions. Follow these guidelines:
- Offer to drive everyone home safely as the designated sober driver.
- Organize a safe party featuring mocktails and non-alcoholic beverages.
- Provide transportation and accommodation for friends who become overly intoxicated at your event.
Preventing Others From Driving Drunk
You may find yourself in situations where you offer to drive an impaired individual home, but they insist on operating a vehicle. Handle such cases as follows:
- Avoid confrontation.
- If they refuse your offer, suggest alternative options like calling a cab.
- Keep in mind that impaired individuals have clouded judgment, so communicate slowly and clearly.
- Express your concern for their safety.
- Offer them a place to sleep.
- Ask another friend to reason with the intoxicated individual.
- If all else fails, contact law enforcement.
If your friend becomes charged with DUI, refer them to our trusted St. Clairsville Criminal Lawyer.
How to Spot a Drunk Driver
Ensuring your safety on the road goes beyond your own driving skills. It’s crucial to remain vigilant for signs of impairment in other motorists. Look out for the following indicators:
- Wavering and zigzagging
- Making abrupt and illegal turns
- Tailgating, swerving, or excessively accelerating
- Stopping without valid reasons
- Driving outside designated lanes
- Narrowly missing objects
- Displaying inconsistent driving signals
- Slow or no response to traffic signals
- Driving without headlights in the dark
- Driving on the wrong side of the road
What You Should Do When You Spot a Drunk Driver
In the event you encounter a drunk driver, it’s essential to take immediate action to ensure the safety of everyone involved. Here are the steps to follow:
- Maintain a considerable distance from the vehicle in question.
- Refrain from attempting to communicate with the impaired driver, as their ability to comprehend may be impaired.
- If possible, note down the license plate, color, and model of the vehicle.
- Safely pull over and immediately call 911 to report the incident, providing all necessary details.
At the St. Clairsville Criminal Law Group, we understand the gravity of DUI cases. Our experienced St. Clairsville OVI Lawyer is here to offer you the appropriate legal guidance. Contact us today for a comprehensive consultation.
Get in TouchFill out the contact form or call us at (330) 992-3036
to schedule your free consultation.
- 1 Free Consultation
- 2 Available 24/7
- 3 Highly Rated Super Lawyer