DUI Prevention Guide in Steubenville, Ohio
Welcome to Youngstown Criminal Law Group, where we strongly believe in upholding the basic civil rights of every citizen. Our dedicated team works tirelessly to ensure that our clients have the opportunity to retain or fight for their rights. While we unequivocally condemn drunk driving, we understand that not all charges are justified. If you or your loved one is facing a DUI charge, there may be chances of having the charges dropped. Rest assured, Youngstown Criminal Law Group is committed to securing the justice you rightly deserve.
We are thrilled to offer you a comprehensive DUI prevention guide, compiled by our expert Steubenville OH Criminal Lawyer. Take a moment to explore the valuable insights it provides. Should you find yourself charged with a DUI case, don’t hesitate to consult our accomplished Steubenville OH OVI Lawyer.
About Drunk Driving
It is disheartening to note that nearly one-third of traffic accidents occur due to drunk driving. Shockingly, data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reveals that approximately 10,000 lives are lost each year as a result of this issue. Tragically, a drunk driving crash claims a life every 53 minutes. The financial costs are just as alarming, totaling a staggering $199 billion annually, costs that could be entirely preventable.
What’s even more concerning is that nearly one-third of drunk-driving cases resulting in fatalities, injuries, and property damage involve repeat offenders. Astonishingly, 50% to 75% of these repeat offenders have had their licenses suspended.
However, there is some hope as the incidents of DUI have shown a decline since 1980, as reported by Mothers Against Drunk Driving. Nevertheless, there continue to be numerous cases each year, which is why it is crucial for you to familiarize yourself with the following guide.
Prevention for Yourself
Driving under the influence not only endangers the lives of innocent pedestrians and motorists but also puts you at risk. Take the necessary precautions to prevent such incidents with this helpful guide.
- Plan Ahead: When socializing with friends, designate a responsible individual to stay sober and ensure everyone gets home safely.
- Public Transportation: If you’re attending a party or visiting a bar alone, consider taking a cab or renting a car for convenience.
- Impulse Drinking: If you find yourself in a situation where you’ve been impulsively drinking, it’s best to leave your car parked and use alternative transportation such as a cab, bus, or train to reach home or your accommodation.
By following these preventive measures, we can work together to reduce drunk driving incidents and promote safer roads for all.
How to Know That You are Too Drunk
Determining your level of intoxication doesn’t always require BAC calculations. Here are some visible signs that indicate you may be intoxicated:
- Flushed skin
- Excessive sweating
- Bloodshot eyes
- Double or blurred vision
- Slurred or loud speech
- Difficulty walking straight
- Clumsiness, bumping into objects
- Impaired handwriting
If you’re unsure about your level of intoxication, seek the assistance of a friend, bartender, or waiter. Keep in mind that even if you don’t exhibit these signs, you may still be over the legal alcohol limit. If you face charges of DUI, it’s crucial to consult with a Steubenville OH OVI Lawyer promptly.
Use BAC Calculator App
For a more accurate assessment of your intoxication, consider using a BAC calculator app. These apps allow you to input your height, weight, and age to calculate your current alcohol level in real-time.
For Your Companions
Being a responsible individual means taking care of both yourself and the safety of your family, friends, and companions. Here are some guidelines to follow:
- Offer to remain sober and drive everyone home safely.
- Organize a party that includes non-alcoholic beverages and mocktails.
- Provide transportation and accommodation options for friends who may become too intoxicated at your gathering.
Prevent Others From Driving Drunk
Have you ever found yourself in a situation where you offered to drive someone home while they were drunk, but they insisted on driving themselves? Here’s how you can handle such cases and promote safety:
- Stay calm and avoid confrontations.
- Provide alternative options, like calling a cab or using ride-sharing services.
- Communicate clearly and patiently, taking into account their impaired judgment.
- Express genuine concern for their safety and well-being.
- Suggest they stay over or ask a mutual friend to reason with them.
- If all else fails, don’t hesitate to contact law enforcement for assistance.
If your friend is facing DUI charges, don’t worry. We have a reliable Steubenville OH Criminal Lawyer ready to help.
How to Spot a Drunk Driver
It’s essential to remain vigilant on the road and watch out for signs of drunk driving to ensure your safety and that of others. Here are some indications that a driver may be under the influence:
- Wavering and zigzagging on the road
- Making abrupt, illegal turns
- Tailgating, swerving, or accelerating rapidly
- Stopping without any apparent reason
- Driving away from designated lanes
- Narrowly missing objects or other vehicles
- Giving inconsistent driving signals
- Slow or no response to traffic signals
- Driving with headlights off in the dark
- Driving on the wrong side of the road
What You Should Do When You Spot a Drunk Driver
If you come across a drunk driver, it’s crucial to act swiftly to ensure the safety of everyone on the road. Follow these steps:
- Keep a significant distance from the vehicle to avoid potential collisions.
- Refrain from attempting to signal or communicate with the impaired driver, as their faculties are compromised.
- If possible, take note of the license plate, color, and model of the car for later reference.
- Safely pull over and immediately call 911 to report the situation and provide necessary details.
At Youngstown Criminal Law Group, our dedicated Steubenville OH OVI Lawyer is here to listen to your case and offer expert legal guidance in DUI matters. Contact us today for a comprehensive discussion and sound legal assistance. Stay safe on the road!
Get in TouchFill out the contact form or call us at (330) 992-3036
to schedule your free consultation.
- 1 Free Consultation
- 2 Available 24/7
- 3 Highly Rated Super Lawyer