Vehicular Assault in Youngstown
In Ohio, vehicular assault and aggravated vehicular assault are considered to be serious charges. When you are charged with any of these, you will have to face the following consequences:
- Jail time
- Hefty fines
- Loss of driver’s license
- Points on your driver’s license
- Disqualification of CDL
- A criminal record
- Losing job and economic loss
- A civil lawsuit for liability
- Increased premium rates for insurance
When you cause a car accident, it might not be as serious. But if the law enforcement suspects you for aggravated situations where you were speeding or driving recklessly or were under influence, the consequences can be very serious. And that is why you need to get in touch with a Youngstown traffic lawyer.
Come to Youngstown Criminal Law Group. Our Ohio traffic lawyer will help you get through the proceedings and will ensure that you get the best outcome by reducing your charges or completely getting them dismissed.
Vehicular Assault Vs. Aggravated Vehicular Assault
According to Ohio Rev. Code 2903.08, you will get charges of vehicular assault when you are causing serious harm to another person or an unborn child. When you are speeding or driving recklessly, you will also get charged for vehicular assault.
When you are suspected of operating a vehicle under the influence and that has caused physical harm to another person or an unborn child, it is considered to be aggravated vehicular assault.
The vehicle is not just limited to motor vehicles. It can be a car, bike, truck, boat or even plane.
Penalties for Vehicular Assault
Most of the time, vehicular assaults are serious misdemeanor or a felony.
- It will be a first degree misdemeanor if you were driving in a posted construction zone and have harmed a person or an unborn child. For this, you will get jail time of 7 days to 180 days and a fine of up to $1000.
- It can be a fourth degree felony if you are driving in a posted construction zone with a prior conviction of vehicular assault or any traffic related violation and causing serious harm to another person or an unborn child. For this, you will get 6 to 18 months jail time and a fine of $5000.
- It will be a third degree felony if you have a suspended license, a prior conviction of vehicular assault, a prior conviction of any traffic related death, and when you didn’t stop at the sight of the accident. In this case, you will get 12-60 months jail time and a fine of $10,000.
- Your license will be suspended too for 1-5 years if you are convicted for vehicular assault where you have caused injury while driving and speeding recklessly in a construction zone or in general driving.
- Your license will be suspended for 2-10 years if you are convicted for vehicular assault with another prior conviction of vehicular assault or any traffic related charges.
Penalties for Aggravated Vehicular Assault
Aggravated vehicular assault charges are always a felony.
- It will be a third degree felony when you are operating a vehicle under the influence and caused injury. You will get 12-60 months of jail time and a fine of up to $10,000.
- It can be a second degree felony, when you have been previously convicted for vehicular assault, aggravated vehicular assault, traffic related assault or death, three conviction of OVI/DUI, three or more conviction of unsafe operation of aircraft, watercraft, two or more felony for OVI/DUI. In this case, you will get 2-8 years of jail time and a fine up to $15,000.
- If it is a first conviction, your license will be suspended for 2-10 years. If you have any prior conviction of traffic related death, then it will be suspended for 3 years to life.
Connect with Youngstown Traffic Lawyer
The job of the Youngstown traffic lawyer will be to refute the argument and the evidence of the prosecution so that he can build the right case for defending you. As the prosecution will have several things to prove together, our Ohio traffic lawyer will get chance to do that and get the best outcome for you. Get in touch with Youngstown Criminal Law Group today for your case. Call us for a free consultation.