Domestic Violence Lawyers in Steubenville
Welcome to the Law Office of Sean Logue, your trusted partner in legal defense for domestic violence cases in Steubenville.
At our firm, we understand the immense stress and complex emotions that surround domestic violence accusations. Our dedicated team is here to offer exceptional support throughout the legal process, providing strong representation in court and easing the anger and anxiety often associated with such situations.
Crimes of Domestic Violence
When law enforcement responds to domestic violence calls, an arrest is typically made, regardless of evidence or the alleged victim’s wishes. This can lead to court hearings and additional stress for the accused.
In today’s legal landscape, domestic violence charges carry severe consequences. While prioritizing victim safety, these charges can result in significant and long-lasting ramifications for the accused.
Domestic Violence Defined
In Ohio, domestic violence arrests and charges can arise from three actions:
- Recklessly causing physical harm to a family or household member.
- Knowingly attempting or causing harm to a family or household member.
- Creating a reasonable fear of physical harm through the threat of force against a family or household member.
It’s important to note that even without physical contact, domestic violence can still lead to arrest.
Domestic Violence Types
At our firm, we have extensive experience handling a wide range of domestic violence charges, including child abuse or neglect, domestic assault/battery, rape, sexual battery, menacing by stalking, and violating protection orders.
Domestic Violence Defenses
Facing charges of domestic violence can be daunting. Merely sharing your side of the story doesn’t guarantee the charges being dropped. Often, the perpetrator’s account contradicts that of the victim.
But fear not! With the expertise and experience of a knowledgeable and skilled Steubenville OH criminal lawyer like Sean Logue, you have several possible defenses at your disposal. These defenses can potentially reduce or dismiss the charges against you. While the following list covers some commonly used defenses in domestic violence cases, it’s important to note that there are other options available.
- False allegations: A soon-to-be ex-spouse or partner may falsely accuse you as a means of retaliation or gaining an advantage in civil cases like divorce or child custody.
- Self-defense: You have the right to protect yourself, even in domestic violence situations. If the alleged violence occurred as a result of the actions of the supposed victim, courts are more inclined to dismiss the case.
- Lack of evidence: If there’s no supporting evidence, such as injuries or proof of domestic violence, the prosecutor will struggle to secure a conviction.
- Accidental injury: Sometimes, alleged victims are injured due to their own negligence or external factors unrelated to the alleged offender.
- Defense of others: An alleged offender may cause injury to a family member to protect someone else from harm.
When it comes to sentencing, judges consider the severity of injuries, the type of victim, the offender’s criminal history, and the underlying charge. Domestic violence convictions range from minor misdemeanors to first-degree felonies. Penalties include fines ranging from $150 to $20,000, as well as jail time, which can range from 30 days to 11 years.
If you find yourself accused of domestic violence, seek the expertise and guidance of Sean Logue, an experienced Steubenville OH OVI lawyer. Contact him at (330) 992-3036.
Get in TouchFill out the contact form or call us at (330) 992-3036
to schedule your free consultation.
- 1 Free Consultation
- 2 Available 24/7
- 3 Highly Rated Super Lawyer