Sex Crimes Lawyer in Steubenville
Legal Counsel for Ohio Sex Crime Charges
Sex offenses carry significant weight, leaving a lasting impact on your reputation and career. If you are confronted with charges related to a sex crime, it is crucial to seek the guidance of a Steubenville OH criminal lawyer.
Ohio Sex Offenses Categories
Ohio categorizes sexual offenses into five distinct categories, each varying in severity and carrying different penalties. From first-degree offenses, which are the most severe, to fifth-degree offenses, the least serious, the penalties differ according to the level of the offense.
Sex Offenses & Misdemeanors and Their Penalties
1. Sexual Imposition
This offense involves forceful sexual contact with another person, sometimes arising from the influence of drugs, alcohol, or mental impairment. The Ohio Revised Code outlines the different charges applicable based on specific circumstances. For instance, a first-degree misdemeanor charge applies when a sex offender has prior convictions for rape, unlawful sexual conduct with a minor, sexual battery, or gross sexual imposition. The penalties for such offenses may include a maximum prison sentence of six months or a fine of up to $1,000.
Furthermore, a third-degree misdemeanor charge can be applied in various scenarios:
- When the offender is a mental health professional, a victim, or when the offender and the victim have a client-patient relationship
- When the offender is at least 18 years old and is four years older than a victim aged between 13 and 16
- When the offender takes advantage of the victim’s ignorance about the nature of the sexual contact
- When the offender is aware that the victim is unable to resist, assert control, or give consent due to substantial impairment
- When the offender knows that the sexual contact is offensive to the victim
Misdemeanor sex offenses typically carry a maximum jail sentence of 60 days and a fine of up to $500.
2. Aggravated Sexual Assault or Rape
Rape, as defined by the Ohio Revised Code 2907.02, involves engaging in sexual contact with another person forcibly, using either threats or actual force. The gravity of rape charges should never be underestimated.
Rape charges can be applied under various circumstances, including:
- When a victim’s judgment is compromised due to substance use, such as drugs or intoxicating substances, achieved through deceit or force.
- When the victim is below 13 years old.
- When the offender believes or knows that the victim is physically or mentally impaired, rendering them unable to resist.
Rape is classified as a first-degree felony in Ohio and carries a punishment of 3-10 years of imprisonment or a fine of up to $20,000. It is crucial to note that if the victim is a minor, the punishment escalates to life imprisonment or imprisonment without parole.
3. Sexual Battery
Sexual battery, considered a second or third-degree felony, encompasses various forms of nonconsensual sexual contact. The circumstances under which sexual battery charges can be applied are as follows:
- When the victim is below 13 years old.
- When the victim’s ability to control or resist is significantly impaired.
- When the victim is forced to surrender.
- When the victim is unaware of the sexual contact.
- When the victim mistakenly believes the alleged offender to be their spouse.
- When the offender is a parent, step-parent, or guardian of the victim.
- When the offender has legal custody over the victim.
- When the offender holds a supervisory or disciplinary authority over the victim.
- When the offender is a coach, administrator, or teacher at a facility attended by the victim.
- When the offender is a mental health professional who manipulates the victim into the sexual contact by convincing them it is necessary for treatment.
Upon conviction, sexual battery involving a victim under 13 years of age is a second-degree felony, punishable by 2-5 years of imprisonment and a fine of up to $15,000. For cases where the victim is above 13, the punishment is 1-5 years of jail time and a fine of up to $10,000.
4. Illegal Sexual Activity with a Minor in Ohio
In Ohio, engaging in sexual activity with a minor between the ages of 13 and 16 can lead to criminal charges under the Ohio Revised Code 2907.04. The severity of these charges depends on the specific circumstances, ranging from fourth-degree to first-degree felony offenses.
For a fourth-degree felony, the penalty can be imprisonment for 6-18 months and a fine not exceeding $5,000. If the alleged offender is four years older than the victim, it becomes a first-degree felony, punishable by up to 6 months in jail and/or a maximum fine of $1,000. When there is an age difference of 10 years or more, it escalates to a third-degree felony, with a prison sentence of 1-5 years and/or a fine of up to $10,000. Additionally, if the offender has a prior conviction for another sex crime, it is elevated to a second-degree felony, resulting in 6-8 years of imprisonment or a maximum fine of $15,000.
The Sex Offender Registry
In Ohio, the Criminal and Juvenile Sentencing and Disposition Commission (CCSD) maintains a comprehensive sex offender registry. This registry tracks convicted sexual offenders and provides the collected information to the Ohio Attorney General’s office. In certain cases, the court may order community notification, where deputies personally inform neighbors, law enforcement agencies, and schools about the presence and location of the alleged offender. This measure aims to raise awareness of the sexual offender’s unlawful activities within the community.
Get Immediate Help From the Youngstown Criminal Law Group
If you or someone you know is facing sex crime charges, it is crucial to consult with experienced Steubenville OH OVI lawyers. At the Youngstown Criminal Law Group, we specialize in handling such cases and provide the best possible legal representation. Contact us today for a detailed discussion of your situation and effective guidance.
Get in TouchFill out the contact form or call us at (330) 992-3036
to schedule your free consultation.
- 1 Free Consultation
- 2 Available 24/7
- 3 Highly Rated Super Lawyer